Recipe of the Month
Submit Your Recipe
4 lbs lean ground beef
2 packs of Lipton French Onion Soup Mix
2 large eggs
1 large onion, diced small
salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 lb good quality deli ham, sliced
1 1-lb box frozen broccoli florets, defrosted and drained
4-6 slices Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a large roaster with aluminum foil
for easy clean up.
- In a large bowl, completely mix together the ground beef, soup mix, eggs onion, salt and fresh ground black pepper. You’ll find it’s easiest if you use your clean hands to do this.
- Lay out a large piece of wax paper, or plastic wrap, on your countertop.
Spread the beef mixture into a large rectangle, about 12-inches high x 20-inches long and 3/4-inch thick.
- Evenly layer the ham slices on top of the beef mixture.
- Leave about 1-inch of beef mixture exposed all the way around.
- Evenly layer the broccoli on top of the ham.
- Carefully begin rolling the beef mixture, lengthwise, into a large “jelly roll”.
- First, start on the lower left and work your way across the bottom using your fingers to get the first “flip”.
- Now, holding and lifting the plastic wrap as you go, finish rolling towards the top, this will help keep things together.
- When the roll is complete, press all the seams closed.
- Place in a large roasting pan, add 2 cups water and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 3 hours, or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Remove the aluminum foil cover, layer Swiss cheese on top, and continue baking until the cheese just melts.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
Serves: 2 hungry engine companies, or about 10-12 guys